Entry 1: Self-introduction video
Hello everyone! My name is Carla and I am a Senior student here at UH. GO COOGS! My major is Human DevelopemEnt and Families Studies (HDFS) with a minor in teaching. I love working with families and children together. I believe its a privilege to help students succeed in their academic journey.
Blog 1 video:

When viewing your blog, I feel like I learned about you Carla. By speaking in your native tongue during the video, and speaking about your history living in Honduras previously it gave your post an authentic feel. One thing that you mentioned in your video is while living in Honduras you took bilingual language learning classes. In the reading, the author identifies students such as yourself as simultaneous bilingualism (Wright, 2015, p. 5). I believe your personal history of language learning contributes to your philosophical approach to teaching ESL and ELL students. I agree that educating students of this variety requires teachers, administrators and parents work together to help propel the student forward in the learning process. By interacting with parents and learning the history and cultural values of the student, educators can be more sensitive to the needs of their students (Wright, 2015).
ReplyDeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hello Nadia Richardson,
DeleteThank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Yes, I agree that my personal experience would be of a great contribution for teaching ESL and ELL students, since I can identify as a simultaneous bilingualism learner and learned English as a Second Language (Wright, 2015, p. 5). I agree with you that educators can be more sensitive to their students' needs if they are aware of their student history and cultural value.
Something that I think will be beneficial since you have been through learning a second language is preventing the possibility of assimilation because it happens quite frequently with children of immigrants. I think you could help to promote acculturation with your students that way the can learn their new language without abandoning their culture and values (Wright, 2015,p.20).
DeleteHello Carla I am Isabel Uribe. I just wanted to say that I feel that you are a very passionate person. I believe that it Is great that you came to America to pursue a better life for you and your family. Because you are here for them I believe that you have the heart to help every student that needs any type of help. You will be a wonderful teacher and family worker. From your video I understood that ELLs are taught differently in each country. As it says in the book they have teachers and aids that come into the classroom and teach the ELL students for a few hours (WRIGHT, Ch.1 pg.2), rather than how you were taught in Honduras all day with different manipulatives. This is actually right down my ally, I worked as a paraprofessional at a high school and I was to go into the class for about 45 minutes to help the ELLs. I never had them in an actual classroom teaching them all day just a small part of their day. Another thing that I learned from your video is that you are considered a "simultaneous bilingualism" (WRIGHT, Ch.1 pg. 4) because you learned English in Honduras yet you needed to learn more once you got to the United States.
ReplyDeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hello Isabel Uribe,
DeleteThank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Also, thank you very much for lifting my spirit, by reminding me that I am a very passionate person that loves working with children and their families. Yes, like I mentioned in my Blog I was taught English in a different way that is taught in the US. In the US, teachers teach come into classrooms to help ELL students for period of times during the day (Wright, 2015). This was interesting to learned from my point of view since I was taught all day everyday, but just with different manipulatives.
Hello Carla!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your journey with us. It was amazing getting to learn that you are a Spanish native and that your first language was Spanish, and your second language was English. That would make you a sequential bilingual because you, “did not start learning English until arriving in the United States at an older age” (Wright, 2015, p. 5). In this case, students that are sequential bilingual happen to speak another language at home and then learn to speak English while at school in a different setting. I agree with your statement on how all students should have an equal opportunity to learn. It is important for us as teachers to ensure we include everyone in the classroom activities so as to not let students feel left out. This is extremely important for our ESL students in hopes to help them succeed in their learning and grow within the classroom environment.
Hello Jessica Lopez,
DeleteThank you for visiting my Blog and commenting. Like you mentioned, I am a sequential bilingual learner since I only spoke Spanish at home and in my community. Then, I starting learning English as a Second Language when I starting attending bilingual school in my elementary years (Wright, 2015). I agree with you that that is important for us as future teachers to ensure all students feel included in the classroom, so that nobody is left out.
Hi, Carla! I absolutely loved your enthusiasm and the passion you have for children. Similarly to you, my family and I immigrated to the United States in search of a better life and opportunities, however, I applaud you for being so brave and coming all on your own in order to continue your education. I too want to be able to help students who have similar backgrounds to you and me just as my teachers helped me as a child.
ReplyDeleteHello Tranh Thao Nguyen,
DeleteThank you for visiting my Blog and commenting. Thank you for reminding me that I took a big step out of my comfort zone to pursue higher education in the Unites States. I must admit that It wasn't and it still not easy to be here all by myself. However, I have had wonderful support from teachers as I was learning English as a Second Language. According to Wright (2015), teachers support to ELL students helps the student achieve more in the classroom and in their learning.