Entry 4: Class Reflection
Hello
everyone! Welcome to my Blog entry #4. There is so much that I learned from this
course throughout the semester! First, I have learned that is very important
for teachers to obtain a multicultural perspective when working with a variety
of students in a classroom. Not every child is the same and teachers need to be
able to identify the variety within English Language learners. Before we
started reading our textbook, I was familiar with the terms like “emergent bilinguals”
and “newcomer ELL students”. However, now I have learned to identify different
English Language Learners such as, simultaneous bilingualism, sequential
bilingualism, language minority students, language majority students, and
heritage language students (Wright, 2015). Secondly, I learned about different
program models design for English language Learners. Before this course, I was
only familiar with ESL classes and bilingual classes. However, throughout this
course I learned about different instructional programs that also help students
learned a second language effectively while still promoting biculturalism. Lastly,
I learned more about the Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOB). I
had heard and done some research about it on my own. However, throughout this
course and through teachers’ advocacy for it, I have learned more about this
model and how it helps ELL students learning effectively in the classroom.
This
class will impact my professional practice in so many ways. I am now more
knowledgeable and aware of the process in teaching English Language Learners. I
really like one statement from our book that says, “English should be viewed as
an additional language rather than a replacement to their home language”
(Wright, 2015, p. 22). I think this statement is so important for current and future
professional practitioners to keep in mind when working with English Language
Learners. Also, I have learned and observe how different types of instructional
models are used in the classroom to ensure English Language Learners learning
in the classroom. As a future educator, I want to use this strategies that help
ELL student succeed in their academic journey and throughout this course and by
reading my classmates blogs, I have learned so much about meeting each student individual
need in the classroom.
I
have really enjoyed this class and everything we did throughout the semester. I
really enjoy using Blogs to help us learned more in depth the material portrayed
in out textbook. It was fun to do interviews to ELL students and teachers and
to see all my classmates’ interviews as well. This help me understand and enjoy
learning more about the material presented each week. If I would change
something it will be something minor and that is just because the format of the
tests, make me somewhat nervous. Having only one question at a time and with
time limit can be nerve-racking. I am the kind of tester that will move on to
the next question if I am not sure. That is why it was hard to go back and
forth on each page since I couldn’t see all the questions at the same time. However,
I truly enjoy this class and everything that we did throughout the semester. I especially
appreciated all the prompt replies I got to all my emails. I have taken many
online classes, but this was the best experience I had in getting answered all
my questions and concerns without hesitation. So, thank you so much Dr.
Avellaneda.
To
conclude this reflection, this course impacted my teaching philosophy in that it
helped be more knowledgeable about ELL students and how to best serve their
learning needs in the classroom. As a former, ELL student I was aware of some instructional
programs and materials used in the book. However, our textbook, other students input
in the material, interview to ELL students and teachers, and observations have
helped learned and understand more in depth my role in helping ELL students develop
English language skills while still promoting biculturalism in the classroom. This
course helped to be even more supportive of English Language Learners so that I
am aware of their cultural heritage and their academic development as students.
References
Wright, Wayne.
(2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research,
Theory, Policy, and Practice (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.

Hi Carla!
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your reflection, it was so personal and engaging! Thanks for sharing it with us. I agree with you, I learned so much more about different instructional programs for ELLs. I never learned about or heard about sheltered instruction but am so glad to now be able to differentiate between the different programs. According to Wright (2015), it is imperative for educators to know the difference between ESL and sheltered instruction (pg. 94). It is so important for us to understand that sheltered instruction focuses on teaching academic content to ELLs. You were more familiar with a lot of these terms than I was when we started this class but it was probably from your own experiences. I am so glad that you were able to relate and learn a lot from this course. Your passion for teaching is inevitable and I am sure you will do so good!!
As you said, it is so important to know the culture our students come from and use that information to help them be successful in our classes. Best of luck to you!
Hello Farah Zayid,
DeleteThank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Like you mentioned, I was able to relate and understand some content from the beginning of our book because of my own experiences as an English Language Learner. However, this course really gave a deeper understanding and knowledge in the different instructional models available to students. I had no idea so there were so many options for different ELL students in a classroom. According to Wright (2015), the different program models for English Language Learners “demonstrate there is no one-size-fits-all program appropriate for all ELLs in all schools” (p. 89).
Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
HEY Farah,
ReplyDeleteYour comment to Carla was fantastic. I also believe that this class taught us a lot about diverse ELLs. I have learned from Dr. Augusts video I learned that 70% of ELLs are Spanish speaking ELLs. This is a huge percentage but we also need to understand as future teachers that we will be getting some of the other 30% ELLs that speak a different language other than Spanish. The diversity of students is growing and I do not believe that it will be decreasing anytime soon, because of where we live. “English Language Learners (ELLs) are the fastest growing demographic in the U.S schools, and most teachers and administrators around the country can expect to find ELLs in their classrooms” (Wright 2015 pg. 5).
reference
Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hello Isabel Uribe,
DeleteThank you for visiting my blog and commenting. I agree with you in that we live in multicultural society which also translates to the diversity that exist in our classrooms. That is why is it so important for educators, school administrators, and educational policy makers to include the diverse of cultures in the schools by teaching in a multicultural perspective. According to Wright (2015), “critical pedagogy emphasizes the need to values students’ home culture as a strength on which to build” (p. 308). In that way, all students are learning in an environment that is welcoming and reflects students’ own experiences in which they can relate to.
Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
I appreciate the fact you mentioned how educators should view English as an additional language and not a replacement of ELLs home language. For me, one of the main takeaways from this course will be to view ELLs first language as a resource rather than a hindrance to their academic, social, and language development. Many of my students constantly speak to each other in Spanish, whether they are talking about the math content or non-school related events. Either way, I have seen massive strides in some of my students' academic skills when we allow them to use their native language in order to help them better understand the material. Likewise, allowing our ELLs to speak in Spanish builds on their social skills, and keeps them from feeling disconnected from the classroom community.
ReplyDeleteHello Maggie Chandrapaul,
DeleteThank you for visiting my blog and commenting. I agree with you in that it is so critical for ELLs to maintain their home language because is so resourceful for their current and future educational journey. Also, sometimes students feel more comfortable and can express better their ideas in their first language, which means they understand the content, but are just processing English as a second language. Teachers should encourage ELL students to maintain their home language and help them succeed as bicultural students in the classroom. According to Wright (2015), “encouraging ELLs to maintain and develop their home language while they develop proficiency in English benefits the individual ELL and his or her family and community, as well as the nation overall” (p. 23).
Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hello Carla,
ReplyDeleteI thoroughly enjoyed your reflection you shared with us! I agree that before taking this course, I too was only aware of ESL and bilingual programs being implemented at schools. In this course, we ended up diving deeper into the types of program models that are implemented and the students that are placed within it. One I observed in my own district was the Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP) that you mentioned. SIOP, I realized was a model that “offers guidance to teachers who use sheltered instruction by helping them systematically plan, teach, observe, and evaluate effective instruction for ELLs” (Wright, 2015, p. 92). At my own district, a teacher is partnered with another and they observe each other about twice a month in order to ensure the teaching techniques are up to par for the ELLs. It is quite amazing getting to learn about the very things we are observing in our own schools. I agree with your statement on how our newfound knowledge from this course made us aware of programs and materials that we would not have known about before. It really has impacted all of us in our teaching philosophy and made us become even better teachers to our future ELL students!
Hello Jessica Lopez,
DeleteThank you for visiting my blog and commenting. I agree with you in this course taught us about different program models for English Language Learners and how are they implemented in the classroom. I especially was gain more knowledge about Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOB). I have heard and done some research on it. However, it was eye-opening to see some of our classmates’ interviews with ELL teachers and how they advocate for the program and the effectiveness it has on teaching ELLs. According to Wright (2015), “the sheltered Instruction Observation protocol (SIOB) model provides a valuable tool for helping educators plan, deliver, and evaluate effective shelter instruction” (p. 264).
Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hi Carla, I enjoyed reading your blog. I am in the same boat in regards to not being familiar with the different English Language learners prior to taking this class. This class did educate me regarding different strategies, different English language learners and different program models. Finding out that there are different ways to help English language learners develop their English proficiency was enlightening. I personally enjoyed learning about bilingual program models. The reason being is because it allows English language learners to learn content through their home language (Wright, 2015, p. 96). The student home language is viewed as a resource which is something I believe is an asset to developing English proficiency.
ReplyDeleteWright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice (2nd ed.).Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.
Hello Nicole Hill,
DeleteThank you for visiting my blog and commenting. I agree with you in that learning about the different strategies and model programs educators use for teaching English Language Learners was truly enlightening and eye-opening. As a former English Language Learner, I was aware of bilingual programs and ESL classes. However, there are more model programs and strategies that help students learn English as a second Language. According to Wright (2015), “essential components of ELL programs [include]: English as a second language, content-area instruction taught in the home language or through sheltered instruction, and primary sheltered support” (p. 89).
Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hello Clara, thank you for your blog entry. I understand where your coming from with the testing situation. Though I prefer hard copy test if they are done through computer I do prefer if I am able to scroll through the whole test instead of just one question at a time. For the most part however I do feel that the amount of time was appropriate for the length of each test.
ReplyDelete